If a telephone call is received:
18.104.22.168 Bomb Threat Protocols
- Remain calm, be courteous, do not interrupt the caller
- Do not discuss the threat in public
- Do not touch suspicious packages, letters or objects
- Do not start or repeat rumors
Unless SUPD or other bomb threat respondents request your help, leave search efforts to the appropriate authorities. If you find a suspicious object, report its location and any information you have to SUPD immediately. Do not touch it yourself. Evacuate all students and personnel from the area of immediate danger as directed by the SUPD.
22.214.171.124 Responses to receiving suspicious packages
- Stay calm
- DO NOT TOUCH THE PACKAGE
- Contact SUPD at (617) 573-8111. They will contact Boston Police, Boston Fire Department, OEHS, and Facilities if necessary.
- If the package is opened or leaking, seal the room (close windows and lock the doors if you can do so), restrict acess to the area, and verbally notify other persons in your immediate area of the threat of a suspicious substance.
- If you open a letter or package that may have contaminated you or there is some sort of foreign substance in the envelope or package, place the letter back into the envelope/package and close it back up. Call SUPD to report the letter and tell the dispatcher you have opened the envelope/package, there is a substance inside, and what you have done up to that point
- If the package is unopened, seal, and leave the room and await direction from the proper authorities
- In buildings with centrally controlled HVAC, Facilities will shut off the air supply and return fans to the affected area(s)
- Get as much information about the caller as possible
- Keep the caller on the phone as long as possible. Delay them
- Tell a nearby coworker to contact the Suffolk University Police at (617)573-8111 and indicate that a bomb/bio-chemical or chemical threat is being received
- If possible, transfer the call to University Police Dispatch at (617)573-8111
- See attached "Telephone Procedures Bomb Threat Checklist" (Appendix A). Complete the checklist to the greatest extent possible
- If an area of threat is specified, be prepared to evacuate specified floor, floor above, and floor below at SUPD discretion
126.96.36.199 In cases that SUPD does respond, they will:
- isolate the substance and or the suspicious package.
- establish communication and control, warn others in the area
- set up a perimeter
- evacuate the area if necessary or ordered by SUPD
- attempt to identify persons involved and or those person (s) adversely impacted
- provide first aid
- gather evidence
- notify the ICS Core Team
- attempt to render the scene safe upon investigation.
Suffolk University Police or other threat respondents will take responsibility for further action and will contact you if they need additional information.