1.4.14 Suspicious packages or letters
In cases that SUPD does respond, they will:
- notify the ICS Core Team
- isolate the substance and or the suspicious package.
- establish communication and control
- set up a perimeter
- evacuate as needed
- attempt to identify persons involved and or those person (s) adversely impacted
- provide first aid
- gather evidence
- attempt to render the scene safe upon investigation.
18.104.22.168 Responses to receiving suspicious letters or packages
- Stay calm
- DO NOT HANDLE THE PACKAGE
- Contact SUPD at (617)573-8111 or (617)573-8333. They will contact Boston Police, Boston Fire Department, OEHS, and Facilities
- If the package is opened or leaking, seal the room (close windows and lock the doors) and remain in the room until otherwise directed
- If you open a letter or package that may have contaminated you or there is some sort of foreign substance in the envelope or package, place the letter back into the envelope/package and close it back up. Call SUPD to report the letter and tell the dispatcher you have opened the envelope/package, there is a substance inside, and what you have done up to that point
- If the package is unopened, seal, and leave the room and await direction from the proper authorities
- In buildings with centrally controlled HVAC, Facilities will shut off the air supply and return fans to the affected area(s)
Unless Suffolk University Police or other threat respondents request your help, leave further action to the appropriate authorities.