188.8.131.52 Responses to receiving suspicious letters or packages
- Stay calm
- DO NOT HANDLE NOT TOUCH THE PACKAGE
- Contact SUPD at (617) 573-8111 or (617)573-8333. They will contact Boston Police, Boston Fire Department, OEHS, and Facilities if necessary.
- If the package is opened or leaking, seal the room (close windows and lock the doors) and remain in the room until otherwise directed; if you can do so, verbally notify other persons in your immediate area of the threat of a suspicious substance.
- If you open a letter or package that may have contaminated you or there is some sort of foreign substance in the envelope or package, place the letter back into the envelope/package and close it back up. Call SUPD to report the letter and tell the dispatcher you have opened the envelope/package, there is a substance inside, and what you have done up to that point
- If the package is unopened, seal, and leave the room and await direction from the proper authorities
- In buildings with centrally controlled HVAC, Facilities will shut off the air supply and return fans to the affected area(s)